Tuesday 17 June 2014

Boxing clever

What with having to ship all my stuff back to my long-suffering parents' house while I gallivant, obviously I need quite a lot of boxes. I had some when I last moved, but that was six years ago, so most are long recycled. Luckily I was able to scrounge a few (not enough, as yet) from work before leaving, but drawbacks presented themselves:

  • It's a twenty-minute walk, enough to make your arms ache. If you don't believe me, try holding your arms out in front of you for twenty minutes.
  • It's a fairly busy route with narrow streets full of A-sign advertising the shop you are literally right outside, beggars and millions of blasted bikes fastened to every conceivable surface - box-carriers are not welcome.
  • It's fairly warm right now, so on the plus side not much rain, but carrying more than one box on top of my normal bag is unwelcome effort.
  • Boxes are really annoying to carry!

While I was able to cart a few smallish ones home, bigger boxes are a problem - too tall to hoist under your armpit and hold with your hand, too big to squash up into a plazzy bag like the others, so what to do? Luckily, my supervisor had an idea:

Good old British ingenuity at its finest! A nice little lifehack I thought I should share.

  1. Fold box down into flatpack
  2. Fold box in half
  3. Insert bag between halves of box
  4. Wrap tape around box and through handle of bag
  5. Carry home easily

No comments:

Post a Comment